There are several levels of mentoring built into elevateHER programming.
There are several levels of mentoring built into the programming of elevateHER. On the first level, experienced outdoor women will be leading all activities. The programming is lead by women for women. Not only will the outdoor activities be lead by women experienced in that specific sport, but also all classes will be taught by women experienced in that particular field. It is the hope that the female participants will look up to these women as role models not only within the community but in their specialized field.
The second level of mentoring will be peer to peer by the young women themselves. Girls will be taught on how to encourage other participants and develop healthy relationships with other girls their own age. Encouragement can only go so far when coming from above. Peer to peer support will allow the girls to grow in confidence.
Last, after several months working with the older girls, 7th and 8th grade girls will be invited to join activities. Older girls will help teach the younger girls what they have learned within the first phase of the programming. Each of the girls will simultaneously grow independent of each other while still maintaining relationships with individual mentors. Peer to peer mentoring will also be expected with the younger group of girls.
Mentoring Youth Benefits
- Increased high school graduation rates
- Lower high school dropout rates
- Healthier relationships and lifestyle choices
- Better attitude about school
- Higher college enrollment rates and higher educational aspirations
- Enhanced self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improved behavior, both at home and at school
- Stronger relationships with parents, teachers, and peers
- Improved interpersonal skills
- Decreased likelihood of initiating drug and alcohol use